How to plant your seeds:
Season: All year
Distance between Plants: 30cm
Plant about 1cm deep into well composted soil
For pot planting use a 30cm pot.
Water your seeds once a day so that the soil stays damp but isn’t soaking. In the sun is the best place for seeds to germinate but so long as the soil temperature stays warm they will germinate well.
When to Harvest:
Harvest 8-9 weeks after planting. The beetroot will grow a big leafy top. Pull them up when they are nice a red and round but don’t leave in the ground too long or they will lose a lot of their flavour.
Beetroot in cuisine:
Beetroot crisps and coriander Houmous
• 250 g large beetroot
• 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
• olive oil
• 2 cloves of garlic
• 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas
• 50 g coriander leaves
• 2 tablespoons tahini
• 1 lemon
• 1 tesapoon smoked paprika
• extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6.
2. Peel and thinly slice the beetroot, then place in a bowl. Pick in the thyme leaves, and toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
3. Spread out on lined baking trays and roast for 15 minutes, or until crisp. Allow to cool.
4. Peel and crush the garlic into a blender, then pour in the chickpeas with their juices.
5. Add the remaining ingredients with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, and blitz until smooth.
Season, then tip into a small bowl, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and serve with the crisps. Any leftover houmous will keep in the fridge for 4 to 5 days
How to Harvest your seeds for next time:
Wait until the beet tops have turned brown. Cut 10cm off the top of the plant and store in a cool dry area for 2-3 weeks to allow the seeds to ripen. Strip the seeds from the dried foliage and remove the chaff. Store in an airtight container.